Marathon Countdown

Amherstburg Runners at the Crim

Amherstburg Runners at the Crim
(left to right) Bogdan, Jeff, Dave, Rose

Monday, August 23, 2010

Great workout!

Do you ever have those workouts where afterwards you feel "Wow! That was a great workout!"?  Some call it a runner's high, others call it crazy!
I had one of those workouts last night.  It was the final night of hill workouts in our marathon clinic and our coach had "something a little different" planned for us.  Instead of the usual hill fartleks we started with a 1 mile run at tempo speed followed by 5 minutes of active recovery.  Then came 5 hill repeats at tempo speed.  Our hill is probably a little more than a 1/4 mile starting with a moderate incline and finishing with about 50 yards at a steep incline.  After these repeats we had another 5 minutes of active recovery followed by a final mile at a tempo pace at least equal to that of our original mile.  (In my case 7:45)
I'm not sure why this was such a great workout.  Perhaps because the temperature at training time was finally below 80 degrees; perhaps because of the variety;  perhaps it was just one of those days where I felt great.  Nevertheless, these workouts are very encouraging.
Next week another challenge awaits.  We begin 5 weeks of speedwork at the track.  I have done limited track-work in the past, primarily because I find it extremely boring!  Perhaps these workouts will be different because we are in a group setting.
Wish me luck this weekend as I tackle my first of 3 scheduled 20 mile runs.  This weekend I am travelling to visit my parents in Peterborough, ON, approximately 400 miles away.  I have an uncle visiting from Scotland that I have not seen for about 5 years.  I am planning a run on Saturday morning.  The terrain is very different that I am used to.  Our local topography is very flat (like a tabletop!)  The Kawartha Region consists of rolling hills and small lakes with almost no flat areas.  This will make my long run even more challenging!  Hopefully the weather will co-operate and provide me with a less humid day!

Till next time...I am running to feel young.

No comments:

Post a Comment