Marathon Countdown

Amherstburg Runners at the Crim

Amherstburg Runners at the Crim
(left to right) Bogdan, Jeff, Dave, Rose

Monday, June 7, 2010

Saturday Long Run...just in time

This weekend, due to a scheduling conflict (golf game), I had to move my long run to Saturday morning.  We had an appointment with our insurance agent in an adjascent town so I decided to have my wife drop me afterwards at a great trail called the Chrysler Greenway.  This trail follows an old rail line and its groomed gravel base is perfect for running.  I could follow this trail for about 6 miles before finding a route home through quiet country roads.  (Note to self, if you are not sure of your route, map it out before hand!)

Previous to Saturday, my longest run of this year's training was 12 miles.  Based on this, a 13 -13.5 mile run would be perfect.  As I made my way home from the trail, I realized that I wasn't as familiar with the county roads in this area as I thought. One missed turn added 2 1/2 miles to my run!  At the 14 mile mark, with no water or electrolyte drink left in my fuel belt, the humidity rising with black clouds on the horizon, I relented for the second time in as many weeks and phoned home for a pick-up.  The good news, according to RunKeeper I logged 14.14 miles and burned 1750 calories (most of which I will replenish during my golf outing the following day)

Those black clouds blew over however, later that night we were in for some fierce weather.  Two tornadoes came through the area.  This is relatively uncommon, in fact I can find no-one who remembers a tornado in these parts.  Luckily, there were no serious injuries or fatalities however property damage is extensive.  Our area is home to hundreds of thousands of acres of vegetable greenhouses, many of which were reduced to twisted metal frames. Boats were tossed out of the water, trees were uprooted and hydro lines pulled down.  I have included a picture taken near then entrance to the trail that I ran on 12 hours before the tornado hit.  At our house, we had torrential rains and high winds but, luckily, not as severe as our neighbours less than 10 miles away.

As for my golf game on Sunday morning...very wet

Still running to feel young...

No comments:

Post a Comment