Marathon Countdown

Amherstburg Runners at the Crim

Amherstburg Runners at the Crim
(left to right) Bogdan, Jeff, Dave, Rose

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Why do we run?

Last night was another great hill workout. Four times up” the beast” over 6.25 miles. The picture on the right is the view from the top. I am overlooking a petroleum products storage facility run by a large oil company that is currently in the news. This facility stores liquid gases underground in old salt caverns. The pond in the front contains brine which is used to flush their products out of the caverns for shipment via rail or tanker. Brine doesn’t dilute or contaminate the petroleum for some chemical reason that I can’t explain. (It has to do with the saturation point of the brine) In the distance you can see the industrialized skyline of Detroit MI.

I listened to a great podcast yesterday by “Geek Girl Runner” (Episode 7) who got me thinking about why we run. We all have different reasons for running. We run to stay fit…to lose weight…to feel good about ourselves…to belong to a group…to relieve stress…to improve our energy…to feel young. Our reasons are personal and individual to each of us. Our reasons for running aren’t static; they can change with almost every run. Today I ran hills to improve my leg strength. On the weekend, I will do a long run to improve my endurance. I will do an easy run tonight to build my base. But these reasons are all focused on a goal…to race well. These reasons are training-specific. So what if we’re not racing? Is that what defines a runner versus a jogger? Which led me to muse: “Why am I a runner?”

I am a runner because it fuels my competitive spirit. As I get older it feels good to know that I can compete in age-specific categories but also compare my performance with any other age group or gender. Running is a sport where I can easily measure my improvement.

I run because it makes me feel good…physically and emotionally. Since I began running in 2007, my energy level has increased exponentially. Although non-runners find this difficult to believe, I have less aches and pains now than when I was sedentary. Running has improved my performance in my other favourite pastime; hockey. While most recreational hockey players are looking to hang up the skates as they approach 50, I am playing more often now that I ever did. Emotionally, with each PR I have a great sense of accomplishment. Completing my first marathon last year has given me a sense of confidence that I can accomplish any goal that I set my mind to.

Finally, I run because I like to say that I’m a runner. A runner is the purest athlete; there is no new equipment to improve your game, there are no teammates to help you when you’re not at your best. When you race, you succeed or fail on your own. When you’re a runner you are accountable for yourself. Running is pure.

I will be doing the “Moon in June” 10K on the 19th. I ran this race last year for the first time on a very low mileage base with almost no hills or speed work. My performance was poor. This year I have adjusted my training. I can’t wait to see the improvement!

…running an easy run tonight…to feel young.

No comments:

Post a Comment