Marathon Countdown

Amherstburg Runners at the Crim

Amherstburg Runners at the Crim
(left to right) Bogdan, Jeff, Dave, Rose

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

We're having a hot & humid spring here in Southern Ontario.  Temperatures are in the mid to high 80's during the day.  I usually like to do my mid-week runs right after work, around 5:30-6:00 p.m. but the temps are still in the 80's at that time and the humidity is fierce!  So tonight I went for an easy run at dusk.  I don't usually like to run at this time because it's not particularly safe on the roads, but at least it gave me a great opportunity to snap this pic of a freighter on the Detroit River at sunset.  The river is so peaceful in the evening when the fishermen and recreational boaters have gone home.  This type of view made my 6 miles at a 9:08 pace go by in a flash.  If only I could find a way to get rid of the mosquitos and gnats!  The heat and humidity is supposed to stay with us for the next 3 days, so I expect more of these runs.  Not sure if I will be able to get my hills in this week.  It is very flat in this area, the only hill for training is 30 minutes away and not suitable for running at this time of night.  Not much wandering of the mind tonight, mostly wrestling with my choice of marquis race for this season.  Detroit Marathon or Las Vegas Marathon?  Did Detroit last year as my first marathon and I know I can improve my performance through some basic course management corrections and tweaks to my training program.  Last year's time was 4hr 12 min and I feel confident that I can do sub-4 hr this year.  However, on the other hand, a friend has recently moved to Vegas and I owe them a visit.  Plus Las Vegas is 2 weeks after my 50th birthday...what a great way to celebrate (in a new age-class; easier BQ LOL)  Must decide before the end of June for early-bird registration in Detroit.

Still running...to feel young

No comments:

Post a Comment